So you have decided to become a non-smoker again! (Remember: you were born a non-smoker…). You can look forward to some great health benefits (not to mention the benefits to your finances).
Health benefits start appearing very soon after your last cigarette:- (1)
- 20 minutes: Your heart rate and blood pressure return to a normal range.
- 8 hours: Your body’s oxygen levels return to normal and risk of a heart attack decreases.
- 24 hours: Your lungs begin to clear out the mucus caused by smoking. Coughing is normal at this stage.
- 48 hours: Your sense of smell and taste start to return.
- 2 weeks to 2 months: Your lung function increases up to 30 percent.
- 1 year: Your risk of heart attack is cut in half.
- 10 years: Your risk of dying from lung cancer is cut in half.
- 20 years or more: Your risk of getting heart disease is the same as someone who has never smoked.
Methods of quitting smoking
About 90% of people who try to quit use “cold turkey”, although only 5 – 7% succeed with this method. (2)
Hypnotherapy is well known as a way to stop smoking promptly and with minimal cravings, and can be extremely successful, not only saving money (that the smoker would have spent on cigarettes), but also improving their health. Studies have shown that it is actually one of the most successful ways to stop smoking.
“Hypnosis is the most effective way of giving up smoking, according to the largest ever scientific comparison of ways of breaking the habit.” (3)
In order for it to work, it is critical that you actually want to stop smoking, and are not attending the hypnotherapy just to please a relative or friend, or because you feel that you should stop smoking due to pressure from society (fewer places to smoke, negative glances from bystanders, etc.).
If you do not know what is included in a hypnotherapy consultation, this is covered on my website.
Specifically, in a stop smoking session, you will:-
- Decide what you would like to substitute for the old smoking habit
- Confirm the benefits for you of stopping smoking (better health, finances, relationships, etc.).
- Learn problem solving methods
- Learn how smoking is insidiously damaging to your health
- Learn how to switch from the old thoughts to your chosen new ways of thinking to support you stopping smoking for good
- Identify and overcome any old associations (e.g. with places, activities & people) and smoking
The session is therefore very personalised to you and your needs to ensure that you can replacer the old smoking habit with other better habits instead.
One session is all that is required to start benefitting from stop smoking hypnosis.
Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and hypnotherapy are used together to teach your subconscious mind to make the changes that you want in an almost effortless way. CBT is widely used in psychology to change thoughts and behaviours which are not helpful for you, and replace them with more positive thoughts and behaviours that you choose to have in the future. Both of these therapies complement each other when used in this way.
If you would like some help with stopping smoking, or simply wish to find out more information, please email me or phone me (Lisa) on email@example.com / 0403 932311. I will do my best to answer any of your questions. All with no obligation.
- University of Michigan Health System, Tobacco Consultation Service. (2005). Changes Your Body Goes Through When You Quit Smoking.
- WebMD Ways to quit smoking
- Matthews, R. (1992). How one in five have given up smoking. New Scientist, vol. 136, issue 1845.