Most people are at least slightly anxious before an interview. In many cases, this feeling helps them perform well, and project the best version of themselves during the interview.
However, if you find that anxiety is negatively affecting your interview performance, you may recognise a few of the following symptoms:-
- Heart racing,
- Sweaty (or cold) hands,
- Not speaking as much or as fluently as you would like to do,
- Unable to remember relevant work experience or projects which would impress the interviewer.
These symptoms stem from the interview being perceived as a threat – in the same way as a physical or verbal attack. This is thought to arise first in an area of the brain called the amygdala. Neurotransmitters from the brain then activate the sympathetic nervous system, causing an increase in heart rate, and diversion of blood from the skin and gut to the brain. This is to prepare us for a physical or verbal attack, but of course there is no actual attack.1
Our thoughts and experiences can also make this reaction worse, and make it more likely:-
- If you have been anxious in other interviews, you can find yourself increasingly worried as you participate in similar situations (more and more interviews), as it appears you have more and more evidence that interviews are threatening (from your previous experience)
- If you desperately want the job that you are being interviewed for, this can put extra pressure on you. This could occur e.g. if you or your partner has just lost their job and you need to replace the income
- If you lack confidence: perhaps you generally lack confidence, are applying for a promotion, feel that a candidate has already been chosen for the job, or even feel that the interviewers do not like you.
However – all of the factors above can be reduced or even eliminated by the use of hypnotherapy, and this helps create a positive, successful interview:-
- You can relax
- You can focus on the questions you are asked by the interviewer
- You can remember relevant details of your experience
- You can appear confident
- You can feel confident
- You can speak fluently and pleasantly
- You can be in control of your interview performance
- You can start seeing the interview as a two-way process, where you also interview and assess the prospective employer.
Hypnotherapy achieves this by activating the parasympathetic nervous system. This relaxes and calms the body and mind, and is the opposite of the sympathetic nervous system (which creates the symptoms of nervousness and anxiety such as sweaty hands, racing heart-rate, nausea, etc.).
Hypnotherapy can also help you get rid of old habits and beliefs around interviews that you wish to change, by interacting with your subconscious mind. If you have a habit of feeling anxious before interviews, or a belief that you will not get another job, this can all be changed.
Hypnotherapy can be very effective for interview anxiety, and it can take only 2 or 3 sessions.
In summary, hypnotherapy can enable you to appear at your best in an interview, showing yourself as a confident, capable, personable and successful potential employee.
If you would like help with resolving interview anxiety, or simply wish to find out more information, please email me or phone Lisa on firstname.lastname@example.org / 0403 932311. I will do my best to answer any of your questions, all with no obligation.
- Anxiety and physical illness https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/anxiety_and_physical_illness