This week I am updating a post I first wrote in August 2019, a date when no-one had yet heard of COVID-19.
I first started using Zoom and Skype (types of online video-conferencing software) to run hypnotherapy sessions for clients who were fly-in, fly-out (FIFO) workers in Western Australia. They had sessions with me in the clinic while on leave in Perth, and wished to continue their sessions once they returned to work on the mine site.
This ‘video-conference consulting room’ was then extended to people who found it hard to attend the clinic. They might have physical or medical reasons why they cannot drive, or they may have phobias, anxiety or stress conditions which makes it difficult for them to leave their house.
This can now be useful for people affected by the current COVID-19 situation who are staying at home – e.g. have returned from overseas and are quarantined, or are working from home due to company policy.
Some people may wonder how hypnotherapy could work using computer software. After all, do you not need to be in the same room as the hypnotherapist to obtain therapy?
In fact, the majority of therapy can be delivered online very successfully in a video-conference between my clients and me. In a face-to-face session we would simply talk to each other, and have a normal conversation. Well, this can be done via online sessions just as well. We can hear and see each other just the same.
People can also wonder how easy it is to work the software? The software (Zoom and Skype) is very easy to use. Even if you are not familiar with the software used, I’ll be able to assist you. In fact, I setup most of the software, so you have little to do. I also phone you just before the session to check that the software is working as you wish.
The Australian Hypnotherapists Association, is the largest hypnotherapy organisation in Australia and represents only professional clinical hypnotherapists. As online therapy is used so much now (e.g. delivered via Zoom), they have written recommendations for AHA members conducting hypnotherapy using this software.
What types of hypnotherapy can be delivered online?
The following list is just a sample of the therapy that can be delivered online:-
- weight management
- generalised anxiety
- study anxiety and study techniques
- public speaking anxiety
- driver anxiety
- quit smoking
- stop hair pulling
- stop nail biting
- stop drinking alcohol
- building up self-esteem
When you book an online therapy session, I’ll give you a call beforehand to find out more about what you want to achieve. If I believe that an online session is not suitable for you, I’ll let you know and we can work out an alternative solution.
Advantages of online hypnosis therapy sessions
So what are the advantages of having a face-to-face online hypnosis session (rather than a clinic session)?
- You can have help of a qualified clinical hypnotherapist in the comfort of your own home, even while sitting in your favourite chair.
- Feel comfortable in your own lounge-room, bedroom, kitchen, etc.
- You can access hypnotherapy services regardless of where you live, regardless of where you are (at home, on holiday, on business travel, etc.)
- You can save time – no travelling to the clinic required!
- You can avoid the stress of the journey to the clinic. No more driving through peak hour traffic to get to your appointment after a demanding day at work!
- If you work full-time, you can have after-hours appointments at a later time than in the clinic. Perhaps you wish to have your evening meal first, and then have the hypnosis session. No problem!
- If you wish, you can have someone else with you during the session. This is of course possible with a face to face session in the clinic, but may be easier and more convenient to arrange for an online session.
- You can still access hypnotherapy services and get help even if you cannot drive, or currently have a condition where you do not wish to leave your home. This can allow you to resolve the very condition which prevents you leaving your house.
How does it work?
As long as you have
- an internet connection, and
- a device with a camera (desktop computer with a webcam, a tablet – e.g. iPad, or a mobile phone)
you can do video-conference hypnotherapy. It is easy!
An alternative option for those who do not wish to use video-conference software, or who do not have the required technology, is an initial consultation via phone after which I record a personalised hypnotherapy session for you. This is then emailed to you, and can be used in the comfort of your own home.
If you would like an initial complimentary discussion to find out how I could help you, or simply wish to find out more information, please email me or phone me (Lisa) on email@example.com / 0403 932311. I will do my best to answer any of your questions. All with no obligation.
© 2020 Lisa Billingham
Sunset Coast Hypnotherapy
Perth, Western Australia