Hypnosis is a state of natural deep, relaxation and concentration in which attention is narrowly focused. It is a consent state, which means that no-one can be hypnotised without their agreement.
Can I be hypnotised?
You probably already have been hypnotised many times by normal daily events. It is worth noting that you can only be hypnotised with your consent and agreement.
Most people can be hypnotised, as we go in and out of hypnotic states naturally throughout the day when our attention is focused on an idea or object. This focus can be internal (daydreaming, internal dialogue, or concentration) or external (watching TV, at the cinema, concentrating on a task, or listening to music).
What is hypnotherapy and how does it work?
Hypnotherapy is the use of hypnosis for therapeutic purposes. It works by speaking directly to your subconscious mind. Your subconscious mind comprises approximately 90% of your brain. It controls habits, and stores memories of long forgotten incidents. It has control over your involuntary muscles, organs, and all of your automatic body functions.
Hypnosis can assist you to use the tremendous power of your subconscious mind and your creative imagination to find new ways of dealing with problems.
A full hypnotherapy consultation takes between 55 and 90 minutes.
Want to test your knowledge of hypnosis fact and fiction? Try this free quiz!
How safe is hypnotherapy?
Hypnotherapy is very safe, as it is a natural phenomenon. You are always in control and can come back to awareness if you wish during the session.
Clinical hypnosis (hypnotherapy) has been recognised by the medical profession as a useful and powerful therapy for some time, acknowledged by the British Medical Association in 1955, and by the American Medical Association in 1958.
I specialise in using hypnotherapy to:-
- Manage reactions to stress: prolonged stress can cause or worsen conditions such as insomnia, headaches, anxiety, asthma and ulcers. Hypnotherapy can be used in stress management by promoting relaxation, mindfulness, and remaining detached from stressful situations.
- Manage anxiety: hypnotherapy can be used to stop / control panic attacks, insomnia, phobias, exam anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), social anxiety and fears.
- Manage PTSD: hypnotherapy can assist with creating the symptoms and correcting the thought patterns associated with PTSD.
I also use hypnotherapy to:
- Control habits: hypnotherapy can help you stop smoking, drinking, gambling, nail biting, skin picking and other habits.
- Help with weight loss: hypnotherapy can change approaches to eating, and the types of food which we choose to eat. It can also be used to increase motivation to exercise appropriately.
- Enhance performance: hypnotherapy can be used to decrease public speaking anxiety, performance anxiety, and procrastination. It can help improve motivation, memory and recall, concentration, sales performance, and sports performance.
- Improve self-confidence: hypnotherapy can be used to improve confidence, self-reliance, self-esteem, and improve self-image. It can help with overcoming shyness, overcoming guilt, and social skills in general.
- Manage pain: hypnotherapy can be used to minimise temporary or chronic pain. I will need permission from your GP or relevant specialist before I can offer a consultation for pain management. This is to ensure that the cause of pain has been investigated.
- Manage intestinal disorders: hypnotherapy can support and be useful to people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome and other intestinal disorders.
- Manage medical conditions: hypnotherapy can be useful in management of high blood pressure, skin conditions, vertigo, gynaecological conditions (e.g. PMT, painful periods, infertility), and sleep disorders.
- In preparation / recovery related to medical and dental procedures: hypnotherapy can decrease anxiety, and assist in preparation for medical and dental procedures. It has also been shown to be beneficial in recovery, by promoting healing, positive anticipation, and relaxation.
As I am a member of the Australian Hypnotherapists Association, health fund rebates are available from most funds, depending on level of cover.
Feel free to phone me on 0403 932311 (or email email@example.com) for further information or to arrange a consultation.